Down District Council


Home » Council Information » History of Down District Council

History of Down District Council

From 1921 to 1973 Northern Ireland had its own Parliament, which since 1934 had been located at Stormont. It had wide legislative powers to enact legislation "for the peace, order and good government" of the Province. These powers included Local Government matters, money aspects of Civil and Criminal Law, Agriculture, Education and Planning. Following a number of failed attempts to set up an alternative devolved administration Northern Ireland has been administered by Westminster through the Northern Ireland Office headed by the Secretary of State.

The 26 District Councils, including Down, established by the Stormont Parliament under the Local Government (NI) Act 1972 assumed responsibility for a range of services. The Act excluded such matters as Housing, Education, Roads, Water and Planning which had previously been carried out by Local Government.

The new Down District Council insignia was officially launched by the former Clerk and Chief Executive, Owen O'Connor, on 12 October 1992. The design is based on an early Christian Cross Slab from Saul, the original landing place of St. Patrick in Ireland, and located within the Down District.

The insignia emphasises the historic nature of the District and its scenic beauty which are portrayed in the corporate colours. The Christian Cross Slab is on display in the Council's Down County Museum, The Mall, Downpatrick.


Down District Council
Downshire Civic Centre
Downshire Estate
Ardglass Road
BT30 6GQ
T: 028 4461 0800
F: 028 4461 0801